PhD Program Admission
The Department of Mathematics of the Cinvestav-IPN invites all those interested in pursuing our PhD Program to submit an application.
Application Reception Timeframe:
October 3 to 31, 2023.
Application form reception via Internet: here
- Master’s degree in mathematics (or similar degree).
- Selection of an advisor from our Department.
- Fill out and submit the application online.
- Two letters of recommendation (see letters of recommendation below).
- Present the admission exam.
- If required, attend an interview with the Admission Committee.
NOTE: Before applying for admission to the Doctoral Program, the student should contact a professor and request him/her to be the advisor. The list of professors may be consulted here.
All candidates to the PhD program should submit via Internet the following documents:
- Professional Resume.
- Certificate/Diploma of Master’s degree in mathematics issued by the Cinvestav, or similar degree.
- Motivation letter (maximum one page) to the Head of the Department.
- Letter from advisor to the Head of the Department requesting the assistance of the applicant. In this letter, the advisor must set out the reasons why he agreed to work with the applicant, as well as a possible working plan.
- Two letters of recommendation written by mathematicians, expressing the candidate’s mathematical skills and academic level, providing information about the content of the accredited courses (i.e. textbooks used, etc). Such letters must contain the institution's letterhead and signatures of who prepared. These letters must contain the institution's letterhead and the mathematician's signature. Likewise, the mathematician has to send the letter of recommendation from his email to the following addresses: Dr. Héctor Jasso, Head of the Office of the Head of the Department Email: hjasso [@] math.cinvestav.mx Dr. Carlos G. Pacheco, Academic Coordinator Email: cpacheco [@] math.cinvestav.mx Roxana Martínez, Secretary of admissions and school control Email: roxana [@] math.cinvestav.mx
- Diplomas, awards, publications, theses or any other articles written by the candidate to document his or her formal mathematics education (in case of publications send only the front cover).
IMPORTANT: Applicants wishing to take a doctorate in January 2023 should present the written exam on November 3, 2023. More information will be sent after receiving your completed application.
Friday, November 3, 2023 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (Mexico City time).
NOTE: If you can not take the admission exam in any of our venues, you can submit it remotely; in that case, send us an email to schedule the exam: cpacheco [@] math.cinvestav.mx
Zacatenco Unit, Department of Mathematics (Room 238).
Querétaro Unit, Department of Mathematics (Admissions).
Online, special cases only.
The day of the exam an official ID must be presented.
Beginning of Term:
January 29, 2024
For additional information contact:
Academic Coordinator’s Office
Dr. Carlos Pacheco
Phone: +52 (55) 5747-3800 Ext. 6439
E-mail: cpacheco [@] math.cinvestav.mx
Admissions & Student Services
Phone: +52 (55) 5747-3870
E-mail: roxana [@] math.cinvestav.mx